Episode 30 Stereotypes Are More Often Correct Than Not



One of the profs of the classes I am taking this quarter is a Chinese. I mean, a Chinese Chinese - he was born and grew up in China. His English is not great. He is very unique. He often make on-the-edge jokes - some can easily be categorized as racism.

At the beginning, I was wondering, how come he is still here teaching? And I was so shocked to know that he has been teaching in University of Chicago for almost 20 years. Like, what??
Later, I also heard from his PHD students that he often raise harsh but necessary questions at necessary times in faculty discussions. Questions such as, "Who are you? Why should I care?" That's really outrageous.

Gradually, I start to respect him more. He often express his honor and proud to be a Chinese in the classroom, which is not common in Chinese community. He sometimes will say things like, China and US are obviously the two most important countries in the world, in front of a full class from all over the world - he doesn't give a shit to being politically correct. The first time, I felt somehow uncomfortable, because I am not sure how other classmates will feel about this statement. I care about the harmony more. But gradually, I think he is right. He is stating a fact that he himself strongly believe in. Other people may disagree. But they can speak up and set up a stand for open debate. We need to speak up more.

In the last class, he picked me to answer a question "Why do you come to business school." He looked at my name tag and asked, "Are you from China?" Before I answered, I reacted, "Are you stereotyping me?" The class started to laugh. The professor seemed to be a bit surprised, a bit awkward, but seemed to enjoy this challenge. He said, "You know, stereotype. Stereotypes are often what?" He looked at the class. (Btw this type of interaction is also very "Chinese". It happens a lot I was in middle school.) Some classmates said, "Negative.." I was worried, "Shit did I just offended my prof?" He continued. "No, stereotypes are often correct than not. That's why there are stereotypes! So why do you come to business school?"

I hope, one day, if I become successful in my area, I will be able to make sound decisions using what he taught me. I can strengthen the community that I represent, be it SHS alum, SJTU alum, U Chicago alum, women, Asian, etc. I hope I will not be afraid to stick to what I truly believe, even if I need to be politically incorrect.

University of Chicago, is a place where people pursue the edge of knowledge, where freedom of speech is respected, at all cost. I feel extremely lucky to be here.


Comments