Episode 26 A Hundred and Fifty Moments of Happiness



The blog was originally written for the official blog of The University of Chicago Booth School of Business: http://www.chibus.com/specials/2017/6/1/a-hundred-and-fifty-moments-of-happiness
---
A blogger’s thank you
It’s a wonderful way to wrap up my journey in Booth with a blog. I have been a blogger for more than a decade. Blogging is what I love. Blogging is why I am here. My application essay to Booth was a set of three blogs, snapshots of three life changing moments in my life. I flew into Chicago for my on-campus interview, and printed out and read all historical blogs on theboothexp.com on the 15-hour long flight there. The first time I walked into Winter Garden, I ran into the author of my favorite blog. That moment I knew I was meant to be here. If you are reading this, my dear reader, please accept a sincere thank you.


Caption 1: #MeAndIsraeliCuisine #BoothRight #OmaAndRikkiByMySide #Pic cred: Ellie Cheong

150 Moments: One Good One

During Alumni Reunion weekend, I had a chance to talk to some distinguished alumni from the Class of 1967 who were there for their 50-year reunion (I agree, even this close to graduation, a 50-year reunion is pretty unimaginable). They are hugely successful, generous donors, and definitely mature. I asked one of them, “What do you remember about your time at the GSB?” The gentleman searched in his memory for a long time, and finally, he burst into laughter, “Do you know liquidity of game theory?” “Urr… I guess so…Maybe not…” With a bright smile, he said, “It’s a drinking party on Thursdays.” The original TNDC. He looked so happy. What a moment!
It got me reflect. What you remember, 50 years later, is just great moments.
This conversation is a great example of my Happiness Project. Since my first quarter at Booth, I started to jot down moments that make me wholeheartedly happy; moments that made me conclude “it was a great day” before bedtime. Now, two years have passed by, and I have a list of 150 moments. Some examples:



After analyzing the 150 moments, I realized that 40% of my happiness comes from two categories: Inspiring Conversations, and Pleasant Surprises. This has helped me realize what to look for when I feel distressed. This has also made me feel more comfortable doing things that other people love but usually don’t make me happy, like loud and packed parties on Thursday nights, because I know that there may be a Pleasant Surprise around the corner.

And I finally realize that the precious 150 moments is my ultimate answer to #WhyBooth. I would love to, in our half-century reunion, bring our shared memories back to you, my dear classmates. I look forward to shocking the graduates from the Class of 2067 with my jaw dropping list of memories.

Gloria is a Class of 2017 student who looks forward to sharing her memories over cups of coffee in the Winter Garden. Start a conversation by picking any number between 1 and 150.

---

The poem I shared in BoothStories:
A man died...When he realized it, he saw God coming closer with a suitcase in his hand.
Dialog between God and Dead Man:
God: Alright son, it’s time to go
Man: So soon? I had a lot of plans...
God: I am sorry but, it’s time to go
Man: What do you have in that suitcase?
God: Your belongings
Man: My belongings? You mean my things... Clothes... money...
God: Those things were never yours, they belong to the Earth
Man: Is it my memories?
God: No. They belong to Time
Man: Is it my talent?
God: No. They belong to Circumstance
Man: Is it my friends and family?
God: No son. They belong to the Path you travelled
Man: Is it my wife and children?
God: No. they belong to your Heart
Man: Then it must be my body
God: No No... It belongs to Dust
Man: Then surely it must be my Soul!
God: You are sadly mistaken son. Your Soul belongs to me.
Man with tears in his eyes and full of fear took the suitcase from the God's hand and opened it...
Empty...
With heartbroken and tears down his cheek he asks God...
Man: I never owned anything?
God: That’s Right. You never owned anything.
Man: Then? What was mine?
God: your MOMENTS.

Every moment you lived was yours.
Life is just a Moment.
Live it...
Love it...
Enjoy it..


Comments