Episode 48 Christmas Series One: Do you know who are wandering on the street on Christmas Eve?

I have written a series of six blogs related to the happenings in Christmas 2017. This is the first one.

***
Christmas is a holiday meant to be spent with loved ones.

It can be hard for people who are not surrounded by them, and didn't plan the travel in advance.

On Christmas Eve, I didn't go to my friends' place to eat and hangout. I don't like being with people for the sake of being with people. I learned to say no. Recently I am reading the book Originals by Adam Grant. I was thinking, how to spend Christmas in an *original* way.

Christmas has been a sad holiday for me. Six years ago, my mom passed away shortly before Christmas. I lived in Shanghai. At the time, the most painful things were the joyfully festive decorations and cheerful faces on the streets, when I was feeling absolutely lonely and lost.

So I went to Yunnan, a remote area by myself. I realized all the emotions are following me and from inside, and it's probably better idea to be surrounded by people, whatever people.

Years have passed, but the feeling of ungrounded-ness always come back to me during Christmas.
I can't help. So, I try not to spend Christmas by myself.

Around 3pm. Seattle. It started to snow.

I started to get emotional. It is no good. But I am old enough to know how to deal with myself: when I am feeling down, what will help is to raise others up. 

It helps me to gain perspectives on how much I own and how fortunate I already am. The delighted smiles also delight me.

So this is what I did: I went to a local supermarket QFC and bought 12 chocolate donuts. I put them into separate Ziploc bags, wrote some sticky notes, and went to downtown Seattle and gave them to homeless people.


There were fewer homeless people today on the street (actually, fewer people in general), so it took a while.

I was wandering on the street and looking for homeless people. It was cold. But then I thought after my mission I will immediately go home, but these people don't have a home to go to.

If I feel ungrounded, how are these people feeling? So I kept going.


I ended up giving 10 donuts. Have you wandered around on Christmas Eve? Do you know what kind of people are on the street? I saw at least 5 clusters of people probably doing drugs. Some of them behave very strange and trying to talk to me. It was a little scary. 

I made some connections with these people.
- One of them was playing piano on the street. He was happy, at least seemed to.
- One of them was drawing something on the floor.
- Two buddies were chatting, and they started eating immediately after they got the donuts. They were very pleasantly surprised. They say thank you miss; have a good day; god bless you, young lady.
- There were also people who reject food and ask me for cash, which I didn't have.



Nothing too surprising happened, which often happens to me. But it indeed helped me through the Christmas blue :)

I believe my mom will feel happy for me doing it too.

***

My dear friend, thank you for your attention, as always.
I hope you had a good holiday with peace, love, and joy.
If you happen to share Christmas blue with me, with homeless. It's ok :) and you are not alone.
And good news is: Christmas is over! XOXO

Cheers,
Gloria


Comments