Episode 47 Why Life Is Worth Living?

You may question: wow, are you seriously trying to answer this ultimate life question?
Well, nope.
Today I want to share a moment when I felt "This is why life is worth living".

If you know me, you know I love asking questions.
Not everybody loves to answer. I get it.
I have a friend, his name is Jason.
Jason likes to answer questions. My questions too.
He often gives thoughtful answers.

The other day, I asked him,
"This is a big one. Why life is worth living?"

He said, "The meaning of life is in the pursuit of its meaning.". That kind of abstract philosophic answer. I didn't particularly like this answer. But I know the flaw is in the way I asked.

So, I wrote him an email, shared with him this moment.
After reading the email, Jason encouraged me to share this moment with my readers. So here we have this blog.

***********
To: Jason

This noon, I asked you an awkward question "Why life is worth living?" It was because a moment came to my mind. One of those moments that I thought, "Oh! This is why life is worth living."

When I was in Chicago, I had a very good friend. His name is Brian.

I think it was the night before my graduation ceremony from the Computer Science program. It was a tough journey, maybe 5 times harder than graduating from MBA. So it was a big relief that I passed all the requirements.

Knowing that I will move to Seattle soon, Brian asked me if I wanna do dinner. So we did dinner. After dinner, I was at his studio. He started playing piano. And he asked me if I say a word, he will play a snippet according to the theme. 

I named a few, for example, dreams, homework, summer, secret. He is a total amateurs, but extremely talented in creating music. I was sitting maybe 1 meter away and listening. It was such a magical time. And at that moment, I said without awareness, "Oh! This is why life is worth living."

I still remember there was one word that he struggled coming up with a good melody - woman. That was pretty funny too. Then he walked me back to my home, and wished me good luck.

The purity of friendship, the joy of music and creation, is one of my last memories of Chicago.

There is an old quote that I used to like, you probably have heard before, "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take. It is measured by the moments that take our breath away." I hope you have more of joyful moments :)

Take care and will see you soon.
***********

My dear friend, I hope you are having a holiday break with love, peace and joy.

I hope during your life, you have many of these moments when you feel "Wow, this is why life is worth living" Then, your life carries its meaning without you need to think about this absurdly profound question :)

Appreciate your attention. As always.

P.s. Gratitude to Brian, my friend in Chicago


Gloria

Comments