Episode 53 My Third 30-Day-Challenge and What I've Learned

The concept of 30-Day-Challenge is simple: you do a specific thing over and over again for 30 days, and write down what I've learned during the experience. I find it one of the most interesting, fulfilling, and inspiring experience. It has helped both my professional and personal life.

So, I want to share what I did and what I learned. I will continue to do new 30-Day-Challenges in the rest of 2018. You are welcome to join me if the project interests you :)

***

Introduction:
In this challenge, I alternate walking for 30 minutes (and listening to audio book) and writing for 30 minutes every morning. For the challenge, I adjusted my daily routine. I now go to bed around 10pm. I got up around 6:15am. Basically switched up one hour from night to morning. 

  • The audio books I read during the 30 days are: Principles by Ray Dalio, Fierce Conversations by Susan, Endurance: A Year in Space by Scott Kelly, podcasts with various guests hosted by Tim Ferriss
  • I write down about 40 pages of notes from the writing days.
  • I record a daily log: what I do everyday. (the shaded days are when my dad was in town and stayed with me. It may affect my daily routine, so I highlight them to make sure I accommodate his visit while still stick to my challenge.)


Here are my learnings:

1. One hour != One hour

One hour in the morning does not equal to one hour at night. We all know that it's healthier to going to bed earlier. But it takes hard realization to make a change. As soon as we see the benefit of the change. It becomes natural and addictive, to the new routine. 

The other day, I assessed how I spend my time, the 168 hours per week. Scanning my days, hour by hour. I was shocked when I realized how much time was "wasted" at night: I was not reading, not thinking, not resting, not relaxing. I was just procrastinating showering and going to bed by doing things that is not meaningful, or worse, I don't even enjoy. 

So I decided to become a morning person. And it changed my life. I look forward to going to bed and waking up. 


2. A highly concentrated 30-min brings A LOT more information than I thought

The daily highly concentrated “reading”(meaning listening to audio books while walking) and writing, even if just for 30-40 minutes, brings a lot more information than what I am used to. To the extent that it feels like a *shock* to my life. 

I suddenly have so much good information and thoughts, that I don’t know how to deal with them. It’s like you used to drink one cup of coffee daily, and then suddenly drink four of them every day - You almost need a sleeping pill to offset the effect. 

My solution is: I offset walking and writing with meditation (practicing the ability of bringing thoughts back to NOW) and parking (writing things down and think about them later). To release the overwhelming-ness.


3. Make use of the abundance of information

Now, meditation and parking thoughts have helped me with overwhelming-ness. A more important question now is: how do I make use of these information. 

Maybe you have felt the same way, many books you read, you find it interesting. But you don’t necessarily know how that’s relevant to your life. If you can naturally let it go, that’s great. If unfortunately you have a habit of holding on to things, then while these thoughts accumulate, they can be a burden. 

I had a realization during a one-hour meditation session in University Friends Meet: To make use of input (information that I receive), I have to be very clear about what output am I trying to produce. And always think from the end goal. 

First thinking: "What are three most important things that I am trying to achieve in 2018? What is a current problem in my life, in my company, or in the world that I want to dedicate to solve? "
Then, "How this person's philosophy of managing organization / principle of managing conversations / daily routines, can help me?"



At this point, I re-visited my notes from the "Writing Days" (I walk and listen to audio book one day and write on the next day), and found that the notes are not organized. There are great ideas there but they are mixed with many other random thoughts. 

From making the chart above, and re-visit my notes, I realized that there are two different writings. One is for output, one is for input. 

I re-organize my thoughts in that way, and it changes everything. Now in my notebook:
  • I use blue pen for questions, problems about life
  • I use black pen to jot down ideas and inspirations from books, news, conversations, etc.
  • I use blue pen again to write down reflections on how these inputs can help me achieve what I want to achieve 

4. What's your all time fav hobby? What's a recently developed favorite hobby? 

Designing, following and reflecting on 30-Day-Challenges is becoming my new favorite hobby.

In strength training, my friend recommend me changing training routine every six weeks to cause mussel confusion, in order to achieve best results. Similarly, this kind of 30-day challenges keep simulating my life, physically, mentally and spiritually. It is healthy and fun to do.

I am curious, what is your all time favorite hobby? What's a recently developed favorite hobby? If you don't have a recently developed one, you may consider spicing up your life :)

5. It's a strength training to my "focusing muscle"

It is a great pleasant surprise. The 30-minute of concentrated reading or writing, as the very first thing I do in the morning, makes my focusing muscle stronger. It becomes much easier to focus on anything needs my attention for a relatively long period of time. For example, to complete a complicated cross-database query with one shot of coding; to sit in a bookstore for 4 hours finishing two books with 10 pages of notes, etc.

It is especially effective if I listen to bulky books (Principles by Ray Dalio) rather than bullet-point style podcasts (e.g. Tribes of Mentors by Tim Ferriss). Don't get me wrong. Tim Ferriss is cool. His contents are great. I am just saying bulky books are more effective regarding building up focusing muscle.

In this era, we lose patience easily. Our mind is constantly wandering. So many reading materials are bite-size, bullet point formatted, because readers only have 4 or 5 minutes of attention, even less when it's not as good.

If you are still with me here. I am flattered. But probably when you opened this link, the first thing you did is to glance through the bolded titles, bullet points, pictures, and to grab an idea of "What's this", "What's in it for me" as quickly as possible.

But when it comes to wisdom, we can’t rush through. 

Tim Ferriss mentioned in his book Four Hour Body
“You thought as long as you get an idea of How-To, you will go and do it. No you won't.

I shared with executives what kind of exercises I recommend them to do. They say that's easy and sounds awesome and they will do it. But none of them did it. This is how hard it is to follow rules - Super disciplined people have trouble with it. 

That’s why you need to read long books, fully understand what, how, why, to get truly inspired and internalize them in you, then you will execute on it.”


6. “The hardest part of going to the gym is ‘going’.”

It all starts from small steps to begin. I didn’t know the 30-min walking will get me into strength training. I didn’t know the audiobook listening will get me into attentive long-book reading. (the other day, I finished two books by reading from 9:30 to 2:00 in a B&N bookstore). I didn’t know small writing get me into writing a book.

It’s easy to say “start is half done.” It’s actually very hard to get started. Another quote I learned from <Deep Work> is 

“People often confuse what to do and how to do. Many people know exactly what to do, but they don’t know how to do it. And ‘you thought you know how to do but actually you only know what to do’ is the biggest obstacle to execution.”

The 30 day challenge format is perfect to “get started” on something that you want to do. As soon as you have the momentum, the rest will be easier.


7. If you want to stick to a goal, make it easier not harder. 

Discover what makes it hard, and tackle that problem, one by one.

(1) What's hard: I find when I listen to audio books on my daily bus ride to work, I constantly check phone for calendar, work email, messages, etc., so that my listening was not effective. Sometimes I just couldn’t get it what the book is about, because I have been so distracted. When I can't follow what is going on, it becomes non sense, useless, and not interesting. Then I do it less.

Make it easier:
now I get off bus four stops ahead of office, and walk for 30 minutes. It’s hard to check phone while walking, so that I concentrate much better. It’s when you concentrate that you find joy and wisdom in doing things.

(2) What's hard: I find it hard to write at home. I will constantly be distracted – drink some water, get some snack, put on more clothes, adjust temperature of heater, etc. Home has too much stuff. Home is just "too convenient".

Make it easier:
 Now I take a Bluetooth keyboard with me. I write on bus ride. There are much less stuff on bus than at home, and I can actually write a lot more on the bus.

(3) What's hard: I find it hard to walk for 30 minutes. It was not physically hard, it’s just a little boring to stick to it.

Make it easier:
 Now I got off bus four stops in advance. So that I have a goal, and I have to walk there. It’s actually require less mental power when you don’t have alternative choices. The lightened burden makes it easier to stick to, and more enjoyable.

(4) What's hard: I find it hard to keep writing on computer. I can end up wasting a lot of time on irrelevant contents.

Make it easier:
 Now I always start from writing on notebook. Before touching computer, I write down on the notebook what exactly am I trying to do with computer now – be radically mindful with computer and internet.


8. Time is relative and elastic. Remember what takes you into flow state and repeat these ritual.

“It’s all invented” -- <The Art of Possibility>

I thought writing the learnings of 30 day challenges will take a long time e.g. 2 hours. It actually only took me 20 min to finish these thoughts. I was very surprised by how little time it took to write the past few pages.

When you are really focused, the amount of thoughts you can generate, the insights you can have is amazing.

Try to catch this feeling, remember what ritual takes you there, and repeat when you need to focus. 

Time is elastic. On the flip side, if you are in flow state for a long time, you will be surprised how fast time goes by. Last month when I was viewing the gorgeous view and having amazing conversations in Columbia Center. The last I check time, it was 11am, and the next time, it was already 4 pm. It was five times faster than I felt.

Another thought I have right now is: People make goals. Some are time specific, some are quantity specific. E.g. reading for 15 min before bed every day, e.g. finish 25 books this year. But interestingly, time and amount do not directly translate. 

What we want to achieve is more “Deep Work” time. And budget rest time accordingly. Disciplined and clear lines between work time and rest time makes both of them more enjoyable.


9. Make it fun and enjoyable.

Today is day 11. “Superb customer service is ensured if your employees love their jobs.” When the tasks become fun, it’s much easier to achieve desired result. Since I started the challenge, I keep making new progress, e.g. listen to longer podcasts, walk longer miles, do more weight training and morning strength training, wake up at more consistent time, more disciplined in going to bed early, more high protein low sugar food."

Now, I can’t wait to get up in the morning, because the things that I am going to do is something I really love. I can’t wait to wake up and do them.

Last night I was watching a YouTube video related to healthy eating. The YouTuber promotes “intuitive eating”, meaning, eat what you really want, and believe that your body knows what it needs, and will find a way to balance things out. In this way, your body is truly happy, and you will achieve good health results.

I think the same theory applies to other aspects of life as well. When we try to get into a new habit, or try to be disciplined, we should not only make it easier to follow, but also make it fun and enjoyable.

***

Last month, we were honored to have invited Billie Jean King as guest to our All Hands meeting in Microsoft. Billie is one of the most important female athlete in American sports history. I believe, similar to what ι‚“δΊšθ has achieved in China.

One of the things she said stuck with me:

“You are competitive and you hate to lose.”

You hate missing targets so much that you'd do all that you can to make it.


***
Thank you for your attention, as always.
I wish you have things and people that you are passionately in love with. I wish you have the vision and drive to achieve what you want to achieve. I wish you best of luck.



Comments