Episode 45 What Happened After I Did It 30 Times

I got to know Ed Sheeran when I was in a friend's car. He was playing Ed Sheeran's radio. The song I heard at the time was "How would you feel". I didn't know. I asked Siri.

I am not sure if it’s the especially good audio in his car, or it's the song. It just stuck with me. After I came back home, I searched him online, and realized so many songs I like are by him. I listened to more of his songs.

And then, I came across a particular one. It's called "Perfect". I watched the MV on YouTube. I don't know how to perfectly describe the feeling. I am addicted and overwhelmed, by it and all the things it brought to me. (Yes it is a love song. But no I am not thinking about my love stories)


And, this is what happened when I listen to a song for over 30 times in a single night. I mean, do nothing but just staring at the screen and listen.

1
The first thing I was wondering was, what has this guy been through to be able to write a song like this, and sing it in emotion like this? I am curious about the story behind the scene. I am a strong believer that all novels are born in real life, to some extent. I couldn't find an answer from the internet, though.

2
During the second stage, I was wondering how has he acquired this talent? How often does he write songs? And I find out - not that often. Ed Sheeran publishes a new album about every three years in the past. So 2017, 2014 and 2011. About 16 songs in each album. If you think about it, three years is a pretty long time. You were probably a very different person three years ago, so as you in three years.

I started to picture him going to places, see different people, maybe smoke or drink or playing with guitar. And doing this for three years, then you have an album.

3
I asked myself, if I am to decide to spend the next three years working on something. What will it be? If I am not intentionally making efforts that will accumulate to a bigger goal, then chances are I am not going to achieve something specific. You harvest what you seed.

Then it was lunch time. I had lunch with a colleague John. He asked me, "How are you doing?" I said I don't like generic questions. He said, "Well, then answer it as specifically as you want." I said, "My eyes hurt. Because I watched an Ed Sheeran's MV 30 times last night. I should have done it moderately."

I talked about what it did to me, the three stages. I also asked him what excites him. He said he paints. And later that afternoon, we started planning to work on an Art Project together. Will share more about it when we start.

---
A side note. I think my mindset is also affected by the audio book I listened to this morning - 4 hour work week. One concept is "Your work doesn't define who you are." It get me think whether I am too attached to my work. That's why I didn’t start talking about what we do at work when having lunch with John. And that's how the whole new creative ideas come up.
---

Casey Neistat once said, "Human beings have a desire to do things." It says to my heart. I still don't have a specific answer for "What to work on in the next three years." But the question will be kept on my mind.

This Art Project is what happened after I listened to a song 30 times. I guess that's the power of great artists such as Ed Sheeran.


Comments