Episode 44 They Say Memories are Associated with Food

Today's post is not going to be nutritious or insightful or meaningful in any ways.
---
I've heard people say, a lot of their memories are associated with food. I am not a foodie. To be honest, I'm probably the opposite. I mostly treat eating as an intake of calories, to support daily function of my body and brain. I can eat exactly the same meal everyday for months. But I do agree, that some of my memories are deeply associated with food.

I've been to Vegas three times now. And there are two foods, that are still so vivid in my memory, that I decided to dedicate a blog for them.

About 1.5 years ago, we had a MBA mixer party in Vegas. Hundreds of MBAs across all the major schools flooded into Vegas. I do not like party, especially this type of large scale, Vegas based party with a LOT of alcohol and crazy people. I party only because I want to push myself to try different things. So, to some extent, the Vegas MBA mixer is a 'work' for me.

I remember vividly, one afternoon, we went to a pool party. It was on a roof top pool. I saw hundreds of people in the pool. Loud music, hot girls, beers everywhere, a lot of selfies. It was a lot. If I pushed myself harder, I might have jumped into the pool, and did the same thing as the crowd. (So, I did push myself harder in a later MBA trip in Israel. I watched a video before leaving Chicago, the last sentence was 'Go big or Go home.' So I decided to go big. I successfully pushed myself and tried all the crazy things that I normally won't do. The result was, I was (almost dying kind of) sick for two entire weeks after the Israel trip.)

Anyways, the pool party was a pretty draining experience. On the outside, I was holding myself and still talking to my friends, and say hi to friends' friends. However, I was screaming inside.

After the pool party, we were planning to see a show. It was David Copperfield's Magic show in MGM. I remember very clearly, all I wanted to do is to hide somewhere, probably in a tiny coffee shop, and not talk to anyone. But I didn't. I thought it might be improper. I thought my friends will be worried about me. I thought I need to live up to my plan which is to push myself to experience something different. So I planed to go back to the hotel room, get changed, and go to that show with my friends.

Before coming back to my room, I was so hungry, and so cold, and I knew we were not going to have dinner before the show. I bought a Cinnamon Roll in the lobby of our hotel. And I took it back to my room.

While I was changing, I started to eat that Cinnamon Roll.

After the first bite, I remember, the time stopped. It was like, the Cinnamon Roll absorbed all the sweet memories of my life, and I was experiencing all of them, everything, at the same time. It was like the strawberry flavored ice cream my grandpa bought me when I was playing in the little garden in front of the first home I've live in when I was 7 years old; the bubble soda I drank in the hottest summer in Japan when I was 16 years old.

I have no idea what was put into this Cinnamon Roll. It was more than a delicious food and (a lot of) calories. It makes me wanna cry. I was thinking, why am I doing this to myself. Why can't I just do what I want like when I was a child. Why why why.

So, when all of these were going on on my mind, I took off my wet jeans and put on a nice dress. Yes, I still went to that show. I still did what I promised myself and my friends. I didn't enjoyed the show. Don't get me wrong - the people surrounding me are great, David Copperfield did a good job. It's me.

After I came back from Vegas. I just decided to completely eliminate Cinnamon Roll in my life. I know I will not be able to resist the temptation of eating the whole thing. And to lose weight afterwards is a lot of work...

But every time I see Cinnamon Rolls in bakery store, I will be thinking of the memory in Vegas.

--
Last month, a friend of mine asked why I blog. I said, because true listeners are rare. So I write. So my readers can jump out any time they want, and I will not know and won't be upset about it.

Probably no one will be interested in this story, or have the patience of listening to me to finish it.
But it was so heavy on my heart. So I park it here.

If you are still with me. Thank you. You are kinda not expected :) I wish you a good appetite and a joyful life.

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. aww, you are the sweetest, shikha. (btw, I still remember you once, very seriously, taught me what are the proper occasions to use 'aww') I think I get it right this time =D

      Delete

Post a Comment