Episode 0 Story Teller

Telling theories without stories is like having sex without pre-play - it's very dry, and people feel reluctant to take it. Reading theories without taking action is like only pre-play without having sex - it's somewhat meaningless and not gonna "produce" anything. So you'd better do both :)

Have you ever experienced such situation: Your friend just finished an internship/his master degree in the US/his exchange program in Finland, which he said is very fruitful. When you asked what you have learned from the experience, what he said is almost cliches. It's because of the analogy at the very beginning of this blog.

I am a Chinese, at my late 20s, spent almost all my life in China, arrived in US 2 month ago, and just started my 2-year MBA.I want to share three stories. Hope it will worth your time reading.

Running machine

I lived in an apartment with a roommate in a huge residential building. There are parties going on somewhere almost everyday. The first time I went to the gym before 7am, I was shocked that 10+ running machines were all taken. And I realized that there is no such thing as a social norm. Go to bars I will find that everyone partying, going to the libraries you will find everyone studying. The so called social norm is biased by my perspective. At the end of the day, nobody cares about whether I am truly happy or whether I achieved my goals. I must be the captain. Make firm decisions and then take it easy.

It is your trip

Before the academic year started, I went on a trip through North America with a group of American classmates. One day we lived in a tiny hostel. Most of the group went to explore the mountain, several stayed in the hostel, completing a due assignment or having a rest. A while later, the trip leader knocked on my door, asked whether I was feeling good (I nodded), and whether I want ed to go out walk around the town or to play card games in the lobby. I said: "What do you think? I am indifferent, I can join whatever the group wants to do." What she said not only made my day, but would have positive effect on my life for years. She said: " It's your trip, you deserve to do what you want to do." I realized how I have got used to following the rules and compromising.

Crazy hour

During orientation, we attended no less than 15 panel discussions and presentations delivered by high level business leaders. Many of them are diplomatic, some are saying nothing by saying a ton. I almost decided to attend no panels anymore, until this one. The panelists are 5 students in their second year, who just came back from their summer internship. When the moderator asked them about their experiences of their summer internship, one of them - facing 500+ freshmen, of which more than half will recruit for banking - said: "I interned in xx IBanking, and got a job offer. But I rejected. Because I don't feel like working crazy hours without a feeling of contributing to society". 

The hall was ignited. Many first years cheered and applauded. The other panelists were largely influenced by this authentic and somehow ironic atmosphere. The remaining part of the panel is very direct, sincere, practical and helpful. Being authentic may hurt certain parties (maybe. And humor can minimize the impact) but its benefit significantly surpassed the potential risk. Better be dumbly authentic than safely sophisticated. The latter only creates prisoners dilemma and wastes time of each and everyone.

There is no social norm.
Be the captain of your own "trip".
Stay authentic to yourself and to others.

May courage and luck be with you.


Comments