Episode 11 Amazing People #1-7

We are on a trip to New Orleans. In this trip, we visited 8 organizations in education space. It's a very eye opening experience for me, and I can write a ton about it. But this blog, I would love to dedicate to the people on this trip.

  • Day one is pretty overwhelming to me (and to everyone). The days before trip was extremely busy, leaving me no time for extra research. I have little background knowledge about education system in the US. So many things people talk about are random and don't make sense to me. For example, I know what charter school is on "the first paragraph of wikipedia" level, but I don't know why charter schools were set up, the conflicts among different types of schools, etc. So when people ask certain questions, I don't know why that matters, and so what.
  • To sum up, that was a whole day with every minute containing sth I have no idea about.
  • After the team went out of the first company visit, they said this is a perfect start of our trip because it offered an overview of the education situation in this area. I could not echo that. I was overwhelmed by information and got more confused. To make things worth, because my teammates found this session great, so from then on, I am not sure which questions are good and which are dumb to ask.
#1
  • At the end of day one, I was so exhausted, and literally cannot talk or listen to anyone. I was telling #1, "Hi #1, I am an introvert. I cannot talk to people for whole day long. I need some time to spend with myself." #1 said, "Gloria, everyone is tired."
  • Maybe tiredness added extra layer of my emotional reaction. I wept on the street, and I thought no one in this team is going to listen to me and understand me. Since then, anyone asked me how are you feeling Gloria, I said, "I feel great, cannot be better."
  • Next morning when I wake up, I remembered a conversation with my classmate. I once asked AK, "I don't really like a friend, but she keeps asking me for help over and over again. What should I do?" AK said, "Does she know? If not. You should tell her how you feel. This helps you and helps her." Similar situation.
  • In the afternoon of day two. I told #1 that I was hurt by what he said. He was shocked and eager to learn that happened. After we figured out the misunderstanding, we became better friends, and he appreciate I told him that, and admitted that this is an area he needs to improve. I also saw where I need to improve.
  • I am grateful for his openness.

#2
  • That evening everyone was out for dinner, left me and #2 in the house. While he was stretching, I saw the tree on his t shirt, "Did you go to Stanford for undergrad? It is my dream school.". #2 said, "Yea. Stanford is great . But you didn't miss a lot." I asked, "Why?"
  • Then our conversations flowed to how so many people invest so much money in the ideas/businesses that don’t really matter to the improvement of this world, and how sad that is. What are the ideas and businesses that matter. How to solve that and where to start.
  • Then we talk about the current issues and pains in middle and high school education in America, when and why that happens. What solutions people are working on and whether they will work out.
  • This two hour conversation is already enough for making my trip to New Orleans worthwhile. I feel hopeful about the world, just because of the existence of the people like #2, smart and humble, care deeply about making the world a better place and take continuous actions. And I need to be this kind of person too.

#3
  • In the night of day one. #3 literally streamed in her room "Oh my god I can't believe it" for at least 3 minutes. Soon, we figured out that it's because she sent several messages to a wrong groupme thread. She was so surprised at making this mistake surprised me. I was thinking, "How perfect this girl can be, so that this tiny mistake can be that unacceptable to her."
  • Every time I saw her, she is elegantly dressed and styled, from hair to toe. But that is common. What makes her unique is her humbleness - she never seeks attention (many pretty ladies do, because they always have attention, and get used to it and get spoiled). When in a group of people, she can be as comfortable when quietly and attentively listening to others as when telling others her stories.
  • When in an Uber, her she genuine in listening to driver's life stories is incomparable. Her presence makes people around her feels they are unique and important, feels their day is blessed.

#4
  • That night in the bar, we were talking about a common friend, how he pissed off so many people in the school. During our conversation, #4 kept defending this common friend, providing alternative perspective and saying good things about him. #4 stood on the other side of all the remaining of us for all the time. After a while, I started to take different perspectives to view that common friend, and take off some judgements.
  • I fully respect #4 in sticking to what he believes is right and promote it, even if everybody else disagree, even if there is nothing to do with his own benefit. And I decide to do the same from now on. When more people start to behave like this, there will be more justice and less prejudice in this world.

#5
  • There is a Chinese saying, "Marry a person who likes talking. When you grow old, you will understand this is a great quality. (meaning when couples get old, they will be able to do less activities, and chatting with each other take more portion of their lives)"
  • She is always joyful and passionate. A group with her is never boring.

#6
  • That afternoon, we were walking on the street. She shared she is from London, and has lived in Europe, China, South America. I asked her what makes her a "global citizen" and whether she will continue to do so. She said, "Yea, I missed Africa and Australia still. My parents are in London and my sister is in New Zealand - the farrest possible places on earth. So anywhere I go, I feel close to family. The more I travel, the more different people I know, the smaller the world becomes, and seeing how people live, communicate, is interesting. Now, almost anywhere I go, I know at least a friend from that country. That place to me is no longer a dot on the map, but my friend's home."
  • When we were kids, we were always curious and exploring - life is exciting, world is new, every day. When we grow up, we are unhappy more often. Sometimes it's because we lost the exploring mindset. The girlhood in #6 survived when she grows up. That's what makes her so fascinating.
  • Steve Jobs said, "Replace the heaviness of being successful with the lightness of being a beginner again." #6 demonstrates it perfectly.

#7
  • In every company presentation, she always has questions. This is uncommon. This at least shows three things: 1) She is deeply passionate about what she is doing; 2) She is knowledgeable about the org/person she is facing; 3) She is selfless and has deep empathy on others (when the remaining of the group do not have questions indeed, she has.)
  • Her questions make people curious what this girl is thinking about. Her questions let people never doubt she is thoughtful, credible, and can get anything done.


This is supposed to be an education trek for the nature of organizations we visit, and turned out to be an education trek for the people I know deeper about. This is why Booth. I would love to know more about these amazing people, and can't wait for the karaoke reunion already.



Comments